Friday 31 August 2012

Felin Fach Griffin- A Critique

The Felin Fach Griffin lies nestled between the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons, with such gorgeous countryside you'll be happy to know the food lives up to the scenery. I guess you might describe the Felin Fach as a Gastro-pub, with it's relaxed atmosphere supplemented with fine dining, however, I'd prefer to describe it as a good food done well, minus the pretension. 

Inside lies sumptuous sofas and comfortable dining spaces, the warm rooms with intriquing art works and furniture give an unique and quirky atmosphere. One of the most refreshing things about this restaurant is that the food is sourced with sustainability and seasonality in mind. The menus change from day to day, which is one of the best gifts you can give a customer who is likely to return again. 

My menu was as follows:
                                           Oak Roast Salmon Fishcake with Garlic Aioli 

                         Cornish Hake Fillet with a Clam butter, New Potatoes and spinach 

                                           Creme Brulee with Homemade Shortbread

The highlight of the meal for me was the Hake fillet, the delicate flavour of the fish was complimented by a sweet butter sauce and the clams were delicious. It's the first time I've ever tried them but I will definitely be doing so again. I often find Creme Brulee to be hit and miss at most restaurants I visit, either being to sweet or to eggy. I have to be honest and say this was spot on, rich and smooth, the custard held its own but was not too firm, the topping was light and caramalised well allowing for that characteristic and satisfying crunch when you tuck in. The homemade Shortbread was delightful adder extra, rich in butter and perfect in crunch.

All in all I really couldn't fault it, the dining was homely and comfortable and you were warmly welcomed. The chef had clearly thought about the menus, which I think really makes a difference, to know that the produce has been carefully considered before its put on the plate. The Felin Fach Griffins website describes itself as enveloping you in a big cuddle and sending you to bed with a smile on your face, it did just that, I'll be back again. 

Small Cook x

No comments:

Post a Comment